MAKING NOTES

Development diary, part 14

Development diary, part 14

When we finally announced Dorico's name last month, and let you know when you will finally be able to use it for yourself, we were inundated with responses on Facebook, Twitter, on the new dedicated Dorico forum on our web site, and by email. Knowing that there are so...

read more
Development diary, part 13

Development diary, part 13

Since the last diary instalment just before Christmas, another three months has very nearly sped past, and as winter finally gives way to spring here in London, we can reflect on the progress we have made over the dark and cold months now behind us, and look forward...

read more
Development diary, part 12

Development diary, part 12

It's been a long time since the last entry in this diary, and as the year draws to its close, I know there is an appetite for news on how our project is progressing. I hope this update will bring you some festive cheer and excitement for the year ahead. The past...

read more
Development diary, part 11

Development diary, part 11

After the last instalment's detailed discussion of beam grouping and sloping, today's development update is going to focus on some of the issues around laying out a page of music, in particular working in the horizontal dimension, including casting off and...

read more
Development diary, part 10

Development diary, part 10

As a wise man once said, there are as many rules of music engraving as there are music engravers. This is a joke, of course, but perhaps only half of one: although there are certain aspects of how music notation should be presented that more or less everybody can...

read more
Development diary, part nine

Development diary, part nine

As the year draws to a close, thoughts naturally turn to the events of the past twelve months, and indeed to the promise of the year ahead. For us, the past year represents a lot of forward progress on our project, but the year ahead will bring more milestones on the...

read more
Development diary, part eight

Development diary, part eight

As summer gives way to autumn here in London, it's time for another update on our progress. As the photo above shows, there is great satisfaction to be gained from lining things up just so. In this post, I'm going to discuss two of the areas in which we have expended...

read more
Development diary, part seven

Development diary, part seven

It's been almost three months since the last instalment in this series, so it's high time for another update on our progress. In this update, as promised I will share some information about our music font, Bravura, and the project we have been leading to standardise...

read more
Development diary, part six

Development diary, part six

In the last update, we started discussing some of the individual engines that are under development to handle atomic notation and engraving tasks, and I described the engines for note and rest grouping, and positioning rests in multiple voices. Let's take a look at...

read more
Development diary, part the fifth

Development diary, part the fifth

All of a sudden, over the past week I have received lots of requests for an update on our progress, so here we go. My last update was at the start of November, on the occasion of the first anniversary of our team joining Steinberg. This new update comes more or less...

read more