Tip: Musical transformations with the Note Tools popover
- Dorico 4 makes it easy and exciting to make melodic and rhythmic transformations to your music.
- These can prove to be effective compositional techniques for developing musical ideas and motifs.
- There are several new dialogs for musical transformations, found in the Write menu, however you can also execute these via the improved Note Tools popover.
- The Note Tools popover is now found in the Notations toolbox, and can be summoned with the key command Shift+I.
- You can use it to perform inversions, retrogrades and rotations to pitches and rhythms, and the popover accepts several parameters to control exactly how these functions are performed.
Tip: Generate chord symbols from a selection of notes
- Make a selection of any length. You can even select an entire flow.
- Right-click and choose the menu item Chord Symbols and Diagrams -> Generate Chord Symbols from Selection.
- Choose options to match your music. Use the tooltips to help you decide.
- When you press OK, the chord symbols are created.
Tip: Instrument filters in Dorico 4
- Create an instrument filter to view only the selected staves.
- Toggle filters on and off.
- Create multiple filters.
- Rename filters, and manage which staves are visible.
- Automatically create filters based on instrument families.
Tip: Quickly input a passage of dotted rhythms
- To quickly input a passage of dotted rhythms, input the music using straight rhythms. This can be quicker than having to constantly change the note duration.
- Select the passage that you want to be dotted.
- Tap the dotted notes button. Dorico will automatically dot every second note, resulting in a dotted rhythmic passage.
- This also works for double dotted notes and so on.
Tip: Easy instrument changes in Dorico
- Add a second instrument to a solo player in Setup mode.
- In Write mode, switch to Galley view to see both instruments.
- Input your music for each instrument.
- Switch back to Page view.
- Dorico applies the instrument changes automatically.